Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest (the orange part of the peel-without any of the white portion), minced
6 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate (the best available), chopped into small pieces or grated
7 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons Grand Marnier
1. Bring cream, milk, and orange zest to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to steep for 30-45 minutes.
2. In a bowl, whisk the yolks, sugar, vanilla, and Grand Marnier until the mixture thickens slightly.
3. Place chocolate in a separate bowl.
4. Return milk/cream mixture to heat and bring back to a boil. Pour ? c. over the chocolate. Stir gently until the chocolate is melted. Add another ? c. of the hot milk/cream mixture. Reserve chocolate mixture.
5. Pour the remaining hot liquid slowly on the yolk/sugar mixture, whisking constantly.
6. Combine the chocolate and yolk mixtures.
7. Using a spoon or a small ladle, skim the foam from the top of the mixture. Ladle into custard cups.
8. Place the custard cups in a baking pan. Fill the pan with lukewarm water until the water reaches 1/2 way up on the sides of the custard cups.
9. Bake in a 300? oven until the custard "sets" ( about 45-50 min.). The custard is set if the top barely wiggles when the custard is moved. Remove from the oven and water bath. Let cool. If not eaten within 2 hours, chill in refrigerator until needed.
10. Serve with whipped cream and heart shaped cookies.