- 1-1/2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tbsp. All Purpose Flour
- 2 Large Egg Yolks at Room Temperature
- 4 Large Egg Whites at Room Temperature
- 1 Tsp. Cream of Tarter
- 1 Tsp. Instant Espresso and 1 Tsp. Coffee Liqueur
- 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Unsweetened Dutch Process Cocoa Powder
1. Coat generously 4, 8 oz. ramekins with a baking or cooking spray. Sprinkle granulated sugar to thoroughly coat the inside. Be sure to rotate the dish to evenly distribute the sugar, pour out any excess and place on to a cookie sheet tray. Lower the oven rack to the lower third of the oven. Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
2. For Espresso Kahlua, Add 1 tsp. of instant espresso powder in a bowl and add 1 T of Kahlua microwave. 20 seconds to dissolve. Reserve.
3. Heat milk until it steams and get hot in saucepan. In a separate small sauce pan, melt butter then whisk in flour and cook stirring for a minute or so.
4. Slowly whisk in the hot milk and cook over medium-low heat stirring until the mixture looks like a thick pancake batter, this may take 2-3 minutes.
5. Place ingredients in a clean new bowl allowing cool slightly, then whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time, until incorporated. At this point you can add the espresso and Kahlua mixture.
6. Then fold in the 1/3 cup of sugar and cocoa powder throughout.
7. For The Egg Whites Ensure that the bowl you are whipping the egg whites in is perfectly free of oil. Beat egg whites with electric mixer on medium speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar, gradually increase speed until high and beat until shiny and stiff, but not dry. DO NOT overbeat. Tip: Should be the same consistency as foamy milk for a cappuccino.
8. Using a rubber spatula, stir a third of the whites in the egg-yolk mixture. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites just until evenly distributed. Tip: Allow a few streaks of white to remain this will help with the lift.
9. Then spoon the mixture into the ramekins, ensuring no drops have fallen on the top of the ramekins and bake until risen and firm to the touch or for about 27 -28 minutes.
10. Serve right away!