- Cut white or yellow layer cake into 3 rectangular shapes about 8 inch long and 4 inches wide
- 4 - 5 scoops of Neapolitan ice cream or desired flavor, softened enough to spread
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 6 Tbsp. sugar
Procedure: 1. Place a piece of cake on an oval shaped dish, which will be designated the bottom layer.
2. Spread ice cream.
3. Repeat with next layer.
4. Repeat again with final layer just cake on top.
5. Then with serrated knife cut off sides to from a pyramid like shape.
6. Freeze firm.
7. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy. Gradually beat in sugar, a little at a time, continue beating until stiff and glossy. Blend in vanilla.
8. Cover prepared cake with meringue, covering completely the cake and ice cream and sealing edges at bottom. Return to freezer until time to serve.
9. When ready to serve, brown frozen Alaska under broiler element on high, until meringue is browned. Serve immediately.