There will also be plenty of other trendy styles to choose from this prom season, with an emphasis on longer hemlines. The long dress is back after going above the knee last year. Girls looking to take a walk on the wild side will go crazy for prints and patterns. Animal prints, floral, geometric and retro patterns spanning the length of dresses will make a statement. For the glamour girl, dresses with head-to-toe sequins, beads, rhinestones or glitter will shimmer and shine on the dance floor. Also look for ruffles, volume and metallics.
Guys will have fun amping up their prom ensemble as well. Black shirts will replace the traditional white shirt this year. The dark background will make jewel-toned ties pop. Cuff links in all shapes and colors will also be prominent this year. Many guys will pay attention to detail and even match their cuff links to their date's dress color. Guys looking to go the non-traditional route will go for the tailored suit. Also look for pinstripes, straight ties and plenty of color.
A destination for more than 40 million visitors annually, Mall of America has more than 100 fashion-forward stores carrying the latest in clothing, accessories and shoes especially for teens. For more information, visit www.mallofamerica.com.
Top 10 Prom Trends
With prom shopping in full swing, teens will no doubt be hunting for the latest and greatest in trends for this year's event. Mall of America www.mallofamerica.com offers a sneak peak into what's hot for prom.
GIRLS' TOP 10
1. Prom takes a walk on the wild side this season with trendy ANIMAL PRINT dresses of faux zebra, leopard, giraffe and more. For a less dramatic look, the print will trim, line or accent the dress.
2. PRINTS AND PATTERNS take over this season. Anything goes, including floral, geometric, abstract and retro – as long as it spans the length of the dress.
3. JEWEL encrusted necklines and bodices channel the inner-princess. Bigger stones especially take reign.
4. METALLICS enjoy another season on top. Not limited to traditional silver and gold, this popular style shines on all styles of dresses.
5. UNIQUE BACKS steal the Prom show. Special designs, jewels, straps, cutouts, buttons and bows all work to give the flipside extra drama.
6. It's about getting noticed and BRIGHTS take the cake. Neon versions of every color under the sun decorate dresses of all shapes and styles this season.
7. Old Hollywood inspires HEAD-TO-TOE GLAMOUR with dresses covered in sequins, glitter, beads or rhinestones – all the way to the floor.
8. Bigger is better because VOLUME is in. Shapely skirts created by pin-tucks or layers of tulle will be especially popular.
9. Frilly takes on new meaning this season as RUFFLES appear on top. One ruffle or many, they're found in all ways: layers, skirts, hemlines or accents.
10. Last year short was hot but this year LONG is back.
GUYS' TOP 10
1. While the tux is still in, TAILORED SUITS will be in as well.
2. BLACK SHIRTS instead of white shirts are taking the cake this year. The dark background will make a brightly-colored tie pop.
3. NECK TIES colors that coordinate with their date's dress will be popular.
4. Because prints are popular this season for prom dresses, guys may opt for a BRIGHT and prominent color for ties and flowers.
5. Our guys 5'10" or taller will look extra hot in a LONG BLACK JACKET, and the high vest makes for a sleek finish.
6. If he's a trendsetter, he'll love the TUX IN PINSTRIPES. Wear with a tie for polish, or without for a casual, stylish look.
7. CUFF LINKS in all shapes, colors and styles are a big hit this year. Guys may also try matching their cuff links to their tie or date's dress color.
8. Guys can ACCESSORIZE. Color extends to other finishing touches such as matching scarves, pocket squares and bands for hats - including fedoras and wide-brim zoot-style topper.
9. For the unsure guy, stealing CELEBRITY STYLES from movies or magazines will serve as an inspiration.
10. And of course the CLASSIC TUXEDO is always a winning option. What makes the look super classy: the black vest-an-tie combo.
FASHIONS SHOWN ON ABC 7
Silver Metallic dress, Jessica McClintock, $280
Open toe silver pump, Aldo, $80
Yellow dress, Bloomingdale's, $390
Yellow patent sandal, Bloomingdale's, $121
Pink Ombre dress, Macy's, $129
Rhinestone toe ring wedge heel, Aldo, $70
Zebra print dress, Glitz!, $500
Black rhinestone shoe, Aldo, $70
Tan flat, Nine West, $59.99
Green Satin peep toe sling back, Nine West, $59.99
Gold sandal, Nine West, $89
Magenta sandal, Bloomingdale's, $65
Orange slide, Bloomingdale's, $123
Zebra print handbag, Aldo Accessories, $40
Black Shirt with pink vest, MW Tux Rental, Blue Striped shirt, Bloomingdale's, $75
Red vest & silver tie, MW Tux Rental, Black & white spectator shoe, MW Tux Rental, Bright ties, Glitz!, $20/ea
Pocket squares, Glitz!, $10/ea
About Mall of America
Mall of America is the nation's largest retail and entertainment complex. The 4.2 million square foot complex is home to more than 520 world-class shops; the nation's largest indoor family amusement park; Underwater Adventures® Aquarium, a 1.2 million gallon walk-though aquarium; a 14-screen movie theater and more. The Mall opened in August of 1992 and is located in Bloomington, Minn., just minutes from downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul. For more information visit mallofamerica.com.