- Requires new pet food safety systems and measures -- including new standards for processing, ingredient, and labeling standards
- Strengthens FDA (development of the Food Protection Plan, which suggests that the FDA use science and a risk-based approach to ensure the safety of domestic and imported foods)
- Provides for third-party inspections (agreement between the U.S. and China that gives inspectors access to Chinese factories)
- Ensures better information during a recall with searchable public database
Be an informed consumer:
- Keep up with available information on associations and government regulatory Web sites as well as the media
- Food and Drug Administration: www.fda.gov
- American Veterinary Medical Association: www.avma.gov
- Develop a relationship with the store you buy your pet food from. They will have information on products and recalls that may be going on.
- Ask your vet. Your vet should be the conduit to your pet's health and nutrition.
Good Web Sites: