Widow of man killed by flying debris speaks out

February 17, 2010 8:43:03 PM PST
The widow of a man killed when a chunk of frozen debris crashed through his windshield made a plea for information about the accident Wednesday night. It's been nearly three years since Kevin Stutson died. His widow is sharing her story now in hopes someone will finally be held accountable.

Stutson was driving in northwest suburban Bartlett when the accident happened. Authorities are still investigating, but may never determine who's to blame.

Colleen Stutson says her life changed forever in an instant when her husband and partner of more than three decades was killed suddenly. She only knows the end result of her husband's death. But three years later, she is still hoping to learn how it happened.

The car - a Pontiac Grand Prix - was Kevin Stutson's pride and joy. Colleen Stutson says he was on his way to get it washed a little after noon three years when a basketball-sized pile of frozen mud and clay crashed through his front windshield and killed him.

"They tell me maybe the driver didn't know. Maybe he didn't but in the back of my mind I think maybe he did. And maybe, after all this time, he may come forward," said Stutson.

Kevin Stutson was driving northbound on Route 59 in Bartlett. Police believe the debris may have flown of a truck going southbound. But they have little to go on. That stretch of road is normally busy but no witnesses have come forward to report seeing what happened.

Stutson hopes talking about it now for the first time publicly will help convince someone to come forward.

"It's very hard. Because every day that's all I think about, how did it happen?" said Stutson.

Stutson says she also wants to try to prevent it from happening again. She saw an ABC7 report last month of an apparently similar accident that happened to Peter Morano of Aurora. A large piece of ice flew off a truck and through his windshield. He suffered serious injuries but survived. Stutson can only assume that's what happened to Kevin.

"Knowing what happened isn't going to change anything...it's just something I feel I have to do," said Stutson.

Bartlett police tell ABC7 there have been no new developments in the case for quite some time. And state police say while there are no laws that require drivers to clear debris from their vehicles, they do consider it the driver's responsibility.