Chefs Joshua Kulp and Christine Cikowski from Sunday Dinner Club created a recipe for the cookbook's Summer Chapter.
Grilled Peaches, Prosciutto, and Wild Gulf Shrimp
by "Sunday Dinner Club" owners Joshua Kulp and Christine Cikowski
from the Chicago Homegrown Cookbook
- 2 medium-sized, just under ripe Seedling Orchard peaches
- 1 lb. large wild Gulf-shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Sea salt
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/4 lb. thin sliced La Quercia prosciutto (this is from Iowa; if you can't find, then another prosciutto will be fine)
- 4 tbsp. basil oil (recipe follows)
- 1 oz. or 1 handful of pea shoots
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to drizzle
Light a charcoal grill.
Slice peaches into nice rounds about 1/4 in. thick. Be sure that your grill grates are hot and clean. Lay peach rounds on grate and grill until grill marks appear, about 20-30 seconds, and then flip. If the peaches seem to be cooking too fast, move them to a cooler spot on the grill or grill for less time.
Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Clean the grill grate, lay the shrimp on the grill in a single layer, and cook until they have nice grill marks and are an even pink color. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp.
To serve, lay one-fourth of the peaches on each plate. Add prosciutto slices and drizzle the entire dish with 1 tbsp. of basil oil. Place a small handful of pea shoots on each dish and drizzle with lemon juice, salt, pepper, and the best olive oil you can find.