Surveillance video captures moments after shooting, crash on Chicago's West Side, injuring 2

Cameras at a Chicago Avenue Popeyes captured the aftermath

Liz Nagy Image
Monday, October 25, 2021
Surveillance video shows moments after West Side shooting, crash
Surveillance video shows the moments after a shooting and crash on Chicago's West Side.

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Surveillance video shows the moments after a shooting and crash on Chicago's West Side.

In the video, you can see the victims carrying a child to safety inside a fast-food restaurant.

The crash was fast and intense.

It all started just before 1 p.m. Sunday in the 100-block of North Kedzie Avenue, and ended in the 3200-block of West Chicago Avenue, according to police.

Surveillance cameras at a West Side Popeyes captured the almost airborne impact as two cars collide from opposite directions.

RELATED: 'Hero' Kenosha police dog shot in face by Chicago murder suspect welcomed home with celebration

Seconds before the crash, Popeyes employees said they heard rounds of gunshots.

"My employees, as soon as they heard that, my manager told them to go lower to make sure to be safe so they don't get shot because they don't know where the shots were coming from," said the store's general manager, Lario Arrizai.

Police said someone in a black BMW SUV was firing out the sunroof, and at least two of those bullets hit a man and a woman inside a black sedan.

A black car then skidded off the road and careened into another car, narrowly missing a line of cars in the drive-thru.

That's when you see a woman grab a child from the backseat of the vehicle and a man limping alongside them into the restaurant.

"They have a child and the child was screaming because they were afraid something was going to happen to her mom because your mom was crying," Arriazi said. "The mom got shot in her leg."

Popeyes employees called 911 and as the injured pair headed for the hospital, police shut down the restaurant for hours to review the video repeatedly while employees had to clean blood from the shooting that left them feeling uneasy and unsafe at work.

Both victims were taken to Stroger Hospital, initially reported in serious condition.

No one is in custody and area detectives are investigating.