$5M awarded to family of choking victim

September 25, 2009 8:48:32 PM PDT
Jury has awarded $5 million to the family of a northwest Indiana boy who choked to death on a hotdog at school.Nine-year-old Juan Loera attended Hailmann Elementary in La Porte.

In September 2006, a piece of hotdog became lodged in the boy's throat. No one was able to remove it until paramedics arrived. Loera later died at the hospital.

The family sued, claiming the district hadn't trained the staff to perform CPR and didn't have an emergency plan.

ABC7 was unable to reach anyone from the district for a comment.


Load Comments