ON MODEL #1: Monica
Nude heels to elongate legs in a skirt
- Steve Madden Trinitie at www.piperlime.com; $80
- A nude heel like is ideal for giving the illusion of long legs when going bare with a skirt (or nude pantyhose).
- And as an added bonus, wearing a high heel forces you to improve your posture and the way you walk so your overall appearance is enhanced.
- Patent leather is also a great way to make a sometimes drab color like nude liven up a bit.
Structured shoulders and cap sleeves minimize the waist and fake good posture
- Shoshanna dress at www.Shoshanna.com; $330
- Garments with structured shoulders and cap sleeves draw the eyes to the top half of the body and create a slimming "V" look that minimizes the waist.
ON MODEL #2: Courtney
Embellishments that slim with optical illusion
- Boden Rose Cardigan at www.Bodenusa.com; $88
- A cardigan is the perfect way to feign a slimmer silhouette by drawing the eyes to patterns or embellishments centered vertically down the length of the torso.
Shirt with built-in shape wear
- Yummie Tummie at www.YummieTummie.com; $68-$76
- Shape wear improves a women's silhouette when worn as a foundation. Women need versatility and we want sexy, modern and feel good options, which traditional shape wear has never offered until now. Think of Yummie Tummie as a tank top or T-shirt on steroids: that favorite, super-soft, lightweight cotton wardrobe staple you wear alone or under everything you own- perfect for under a blazer or cardigan. The extra bonus comes in the form of the patented three-panel technology which includes a same-tone, firm control midsection panel that smoothes and shapes your tummy and hips, eliminating pounds off your appearance, and camouflaging any lumps and bumps.
Long, flared pants with heels to make legs look long and lean
- Boden at www.Bodenusa.com;$98 and Old Navy at www.OldNavy.com; $29.50
- In addition to saving on hemming, keeping your pants at a longer length and wearing them with heels makes you look taller and legs leaner.
Sheer fabrics minimize the frame
- Hanky Panky at www.HankyPanky.com; $34- $48
- Wearing sheer or semi-sheer tops with a camisole underneath minimizes your frame by creating an optical illusion with shading.
- And you can hide flaws but still show some skin!
Built-in shape wear for men
- RIP'T Fusion at www.YummieTummie.com; $58
- The time for shape wear for men has come! Rip't Fusion is a body-sculpting undershirt designed to support a man's core, shave inches off his belly and enhance his posture. Men can wear it under a dress shirt, polo, or sweater, and replace the tired, white undershirt for good.
Bronzer & Shimmer to give the illusion of a slimmer shape
- Physicians Formula Bronze Booster Glow-Boosting Loose Bronzing Veil; $14.95 at drugstores
- Stila All Over Shimmer Liquid Luminizer; $22, available at www.stilacosmetics.com
- Powder bronzers and liquid luminizers are a great finishing touch to the face and body.
- Apply to key points on your face (bridge of nose, cheekbones, brow bone) and body (collarbone, shoulders, décolleté) for an overall slimming effect.
- Both of these products have built-in brushes so application is easy and mess-proof.