• WEATHER ALERT Winter Weather Advisory

Allergic man dies after multiple bee stings

September 22, 2010 7:31:10 PM PDT
Jim Makris was stung by bees multiple times during his life, and he knew that he was somewhat allergic to bee stings.

A series of bee stings Makris suffered Saturday and Sunday, September 11th and 12th, proved fatal.

Makris's sister-in-law, Sheila Takeda, said he was outside and was stung a couple of times on Saturday. He went back outside on Sunday and was stung on the left temple.

After he came back into the house, his wife called 911, and Makris went into anaphylactic shock. He suffered multiple heart attacks.

Makris was unconscious from the time he was taken from the house until his death on Monday at Alexian Brothers Hospital.

His family said there had never been an incident before where Makris was stung and he had to go to the hospital.

Doctors speculated that the fatal reaction could have been triggered by the number of stings he suffered, or the fact that he was stung on the temple Sunday.


Load Comments