New study fuels debate over mammograms

October 25, 2011 1:37:04 PM PDT
New information is adding fuel to the debate over the importance of mammograms.

A new study finds mammograms don't save as many lives as you might think.

According to this new study, the numbers suggest that at most 13 percent of those diagnosed with breast cancer have been helped. That means the other 87 percent have not been helped.

Researchers say that is important when we keep hearing these stories from breast cancer survivors.

Authors of the study in the Archives of Internal Medicine say this information is important for patients who are starting to think more about the risks of screening.

Load Comments