- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. In a medium-size saucepan, whisk the flour into the milk until smooth. Place over medium heat and stirring constantly, cook until the mixture becomes very thick and begins to bubble, about 10-15 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes. Place a piece of waxed paper directly on the surface and let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, on medium high speed of an electric mixer, beat the butter for 3 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
4. Gradually add the sugar, beating continuously for 3 minutes until fluffy. Add the vanilla and beat well.
5. Add the cooled milk/flour mixture and continue to beat on the medium high speed for 5 minutes, until very smooth and noticeably whiter in color. You can add food coloring at this time.
6. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes (no less and no longer - set a timer!)
7. Use immediately.