The fundraising campaign is aimed at granting clean water to the 900 million people around the world who currently lack access to it. The core of the project works on a simple concept: participating restaurants are asking their patrons to donate $1 or more for the tap water they usually enjoy for free during the week.
The Tap Project concludes with the "Taste of Tap" event on March 23rd. Celebrity chefs including Sprout and Season 3 and All Star Top Chef's Dale Levitski, Crux's Brandon Baltzley and Centered Chef's Ryan Hutmacher all participate in this fundraising event.
To find a Chicago area restaurant participating in "World Water Week" www.uniceftapproject.org
Taste of Tap
Friday, March 23rd, 7PM
Centered Chef Studio
177 N. Ada Street
Tickets: $50 (Advance) $75 (door)
- Tomato Agua Pazzo
- 4 c water
- 2 12oz cans of whole, peeled tomatoes
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, rough chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and rough chopped
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 2 dried Birdsbeak Chiles
- 2 pieces Star Anise
- 1 bulb fennel rough, chopped
- 1 pinch saffron, if available
- peel of 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 c dry white wine or Pernod (optional)
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley
- salt to taste
- 1/2 c sundried tomatoes
1) Place all ingredients in steel pot (do not use aluminum! Tomatoes and Aluminum react and create a metallic taste) and simmer on low heat for 1 hour, adding more water as needed. Do not over-reduce, you want a flavored broth.
2) Strain through a fine mesh strainer.
3) Use as a base for soups or sauces. Also as a poaching liquid for meats and vegetables.
Suggested Use: Easy Whitefish Soup