1.5 lbs seasonal vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, turnips, or bell peppers
2 medium onions
4 oz low-fat cheddar cheese
12 medium eggs
1 tsp dried dill, thyme, or oregano Non-stick cooking spray
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
8 oz mushrooms
¼ cup fresh parsley, thyme, or basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Rinse and cut seasonal veggies evenly into small pieces. Peel, rinse, and dice onions. If using, slice mushrooms and rinse and chop fresh herbs.
3. Grate cheddar cheese.
4. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add seasonal veggies to boiling water. Briefly boil, about 30 seconds. Using a colander, drain the veggies.
5. In a large bowl, whip eggs with a fork until well blended. Whisk in dried herbs. Set aside.
6. Coat medium skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium - high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. If using mushrooms, add now. Add boiled seasonal veggies. Continue cooking until soft and some of their juices have evaporated, about 5 minutes more.
7. Coat 9-by-13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
8. Layer ingredients in the baking dish in the following order: veggie mixture, egg mixture, cheese, salt, and pepper.
9. Bake until eggs are firm and cheese is melted, about 35 minutes. A thermometer inserted in the middle should read 160°F.
10. If using, garnish with chopped fresh herbs.
11. Cut into 8 equal-size portions.
Nutrition Facts Serving Size for 1/8 of recipe (193g):
Servings Per Container 8
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 70
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7g 11%
Saturated Fat 2.5g 13%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 250mg 83%
Sodium 350mg 15%
Total Carbohydrate 7g 2%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 50%
-Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.