U of C student Nicholas Barnes died of alcohol poisoning, ME says

Nicholas Barnes

April 15, 2014 6:10:16 AM PDT
Nicholas Barnes died of alcohol poisoning, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office. The University of Chicago student's body was found in his dorm room.

The 20-year-old's body was found in his dorm room on February 15, days after he last used his key code to enter the school's International House dorm. Other dorm residents complained of a smell, which led officials to discover his decomposing body and raised concerns about why he wasn't reported as missing earlier.

The original autopsy was inconclusive, but toxicology reports were released Monday. His cause of death was listed as ethanol toxicity and labeled an accident by the medical examiner.

Barnes was from Pittsburgh. He was a third-year student at U of C.


Load Comments