The home's owner was visiting relatives in Aurora when neighbors called her to say the house was on fire.
Langundia Martin lives in the home with her teenage daughter, and a disabled 72-year-old aunt.
There's not much the family can salvage.
"Basically all the memories…the furniture, is just gone ...everything," said Martin.
An electrical short in the kitchen is the likely cause of the fire, according to fire investigators.
The family hopes to stay with relatives until they find a new place to live.