UNCOMMON GROUND, EDGEWATER:
1401 W. Devon Ave.
Chicago, IL 60660
* other restaurant is located in Wrigleyville on Clark St.
* operating the nation's first certified organic rooftop farm
* 2,500 square foot rooftop farm; holds about 4 tons of soil for planting beds
* The restaurant's rooftop bounty includes: Fresh tomatoes, heirloom vaireties, peppers, eggplant, lettuce, and herbs, honey from beehives -- and the bees also provide pollination!
- Nation's first certified organic rooftop farm
- Soil used for planting on the roof weighs 4 tons
- Produce grown on the rooftop is used by chef's in the restaurant below
- Solar panels generate electricity used to heat the water which is used in the restaurant, cutting down on use of natural gas