Fenger student dies 4 days after drive-by shooting

October 21, 2011 (CHICAGO)

Marqwell Seabron was gunned down in a drive-by shooting as he was walking with friends on Monday night near the corner of 118th and South Perry, not far from his home.

His friends reportedly dragged Seabron away after the shots were fired. The teen had been clinging on to life at Advocate Christ Medical Center all week but was pronounced dead around 12:30 Friday morning.

Police are searching for suspects.

Family members gathered Friday to pray.

"My son lost his mom a couple years ago...I used to imagine my son playing for the Chicago Bears or Bulls, just doing something positive. Because he had dreams, that is what he wanted to do. Someone just took that away from him," said Marvell Seabron, father. "It needs to stop...I don't want none of my kids even living here anymore. I'm afraid for their life every day."

Police said that Seabron had been arrested previously but had no known gang affiliation.

"Nobody out here would say they saw my son gang banging...he did regular teenage boy stuff, mischievious, stuff that teenage boys do. Nothing serious that would cause someone to take his life," said "Everyone know my son as a good boy. What happened to him just wasn't necessary...too much violence up here."

Seabron's father said he does not understand why no one seems to know anything about the shooting. He believes someone has to know something and should come forward.

Seabron's older sister Keena Bonner told ABC7 her brother loved basketball and wanted to be a professional basketball player or a mechanic. Bonner says she doesn't know if her brother was a target or why he would be.

"He was caring, giving. He loved to make friends," Bonner said.

The teen attended the same school as Derrion Albert, a Fenger High School student who was beaten to death by a mob two years ago.

Seabron's classmates and neighbors remembered the latest victim of violence Friday morning.

"We just moved over here, he was a nice little kid. He cut my grass for me. I can't believe this happened to him...he was a good kid," said neighbor Juanita McKinney.

Police have not made any arrests. They said they are re-interviewing witnesses.

Copyright © 2024 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.