- 1 Quart Strawberries, rinsed, then halved or quartered (4 cups)
- ¼ cup honey or agave nectar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary or thyme (optional)
- 4 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter cut in small pieces
- 1 ¾ cups whipping cream
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 4008*F. In large bowl, combine strawberries and honey. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while preparing shortcake.
- For shortcake, in food processor combine flour, ¼ cup sugar, rosemary, baking powder, and salt; pulse to mix (Or whisk together in large bowl.) Add butter to flour mixture; pulse several times. (Or cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives.) While pulsing, add cream, pulsing until dough begins to come together. (Or make a well in center of flour mixture. Pour cream into well. Mix with fork until dough is evenly moistened.)
- Turn out dough in lightly floured surface. Knead quickly. Roll dough to 9x13 –inch rectangle (1/2- inch thickness). Transfer dough to large parchment-lined baking sheet. With sharp knife, score dough (cutting not quite through) in 1 ½ -inch squares. Brush dough with egg white; sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. sugar. Bake 22 to 26 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer shortcake and parchment to wooden board or platter. Spoon strawberries on shortcake. Drizzle with juices. Serve in tumblers or bowls with whipped cream. Makes 15 (2-square) servings, plus leftovers.
Grill Option: On charcoal grill large enough to accommodate large skillet placed in center of grill rack, arrange medium-hot coals around perimeter of grill (for indirect cooking). Prepare shortcakes as directed. After kneading, pat dough into generously buttered 12-inch cast iron skillet. Test for medium heat above center of grill. Place skillet in center of grill (not over coals). Cover and grill 25 to 30 minutes, until set in center. Remove from grill; let stand 10 minutes. Cut in wedges. Serve with strawberries and whipped cream. Each Serving: 348 cal, 23 g fat, 77 mg chol, 285 mg sodium, 33 g carb, 1 g fiber, 4 g pro.