Filing a claim, reporting a pothole

February 7, 2008 10:25:58 AM PST
Are bumpy roads driving you crazy? Find out how to report a pothole. Claims: If your vehicle is damaged due to a pothole, you can file a reimbursement claim with the city. To file a claim, go to the Chicago City Clerk's website. Fill out and mail in a Damage to Vehicle Claim Form. Any evidence that can be included with the claim is helpful. The clerk will send the claim to City Council who passes it to the Committee on Finance. They investigate the claim by contacting CDOT for confirmation of the hole then make calls for a couple estimates of damage. The claim is then either denied or paid out. If paid, the claimant will receive half of the estimate of damages because the driver must take partial responsibility for hitting the pothole. Claimants should receive a denial or their check between 4 and 6 months after submitting their claim.

You can file a claim with the City of Chicago if your car has been damaged by a pothole on a Chicago road. To fill out a claim form visit
To submit a problem about a state road, visit
Click here to email pothole information to the Public Works Department in Oak Park.

You can also let ABC7 know about a problem pothole by viisiting Operation Pothole.