CHICAGO -- This segment is produced with and sponsored by Alessi & Strack & Van Til Food Market.
We've re-imagined our "In the Kitchen" segment - instead of a 30 minute challenge, we are sending our cooks out to shop - to create a dish that they love!
Today's "In the Kitchen" cook is - trained chef and culinary influencer - founder of the website Girl & the Kitchen www.girlandthekitchen.com - Mila Furman!
We followed Mila as she shopped at the Strack & Van Til Food Market in Munster, Ind. to see what ingredients she wanted to use. Then this morning, Mila made her dish - step-by-step.
Our Friends at Alessi sent Mila home with a gift basket of goodies. Visit their website for all the Alessi products. www.alessifoods.com
Alessi and Strack & Van Til Food Market have a surprise for our viewing audience. Until 2 a.m. Thursday, go to the main page of windycitylive.com, click on promotions and go to the WCL Grocery Instant Win contest for your chance at winning one of these great prizes:
$50 gift certificate to Strack & Van Til Food Market
$90 Alessi gift box
And you can opt in for a free package of Vigo Cilantro & Lime Panko Bread Crumbs.
Plus one lucky member of our studio audience went home with the Alessi basket of goodies and a $100 gift card to Strack & Van Til Food Market!
Visit Strack & Van Til Food Market website for a location near you: www.strackandvantil.com
For more on Mila and her great recipes - head to her website: www. girlandthekitchen.com
Chicken Piccata with Sundried Tomato Cauliflower Puree
Chicken and Sauce
2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 shallot chopped
1 fresh lemon, juiced
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup chicken stock
cup toasted Alessi Pignolis
cup Vigo artichokes
1/4 cup Alessi brined capers, rinsed
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp water
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 whole head of cauliflower cut up into florets or 1 bag frozen cut up cauliflower
1/2 stick of butter
1 cup of heavy cream
5 cloves of garlic
cup grated Parmesan
2 tbsp Alessi Sundried Tomatoes in Oil
1 tbsp fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
Chicken and Sauce
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
2. In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons
3. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When
chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate.
4. Melt 2 more tablespoons butter and add another 2 tablespoons olive oil.
5. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add the other 2 pieces of chicken and brown both sides
in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.
6. Into the pan add shallots, the lemon juice, stock, the artichokes and the capers. Return to
stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for
7. Combine water with cornstarch and pour into the pan. This is called a slurry and it is a
thickening agent. Allow to boil and it will thicken...if too thick, thin it out with broth.
8. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter. Add
remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously.
9. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with lemon zest, parsley and pinenuts.
1. Boil the cauliflower until it is fork tender.
2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the heavy cream and garlic on a low flame;
3. Strain the cauliflower in a colander or strainer so that there is no water left.
4. For the actual mashing process,
5. I have found that using a food processor or a stick blender really well to get them
6. But a regular smasher works well too if you put some elbow grease into it.
7. Add sundried tomato, parmesan, and chopped parsley.
Alessi & Strack & Van Til Food Market Present "In The Kitchen" With Mila Furman
WINDY CITY LIVE
More TOP STORIES News