No injuries in fire at hospital

January 2, 2009 3:46:02 PM PST
A small fire caused a scare on Friday morning at a South Side hospital. The fire happened at Provident Hospital, 500 East 51st Street. When firefighters arrived, they say they found smoke in an elevator shaft.

Officials say the fire was caused by an overheated motor on one of the elevators.

"We shut them down, cleared the building of smoke, made sure everybody in the hospital was safe. Maintenance crew is right here on the scene right now. And they have an elevator crew coming in to work on the elevators," said Deputy Dist. Chief James Mungovan, Chicago Fire Department.

Firefighters say no one was hurt and that no one was forced to evacuate.


Load Comments