For Arroz Caldo:
2 cups sweet rice
½ cup water (to adjust for desired consistency)
1 nub Sliced ginger
3 cups Chicken stock
5 stalks Chopped celery
2 whole Chopped onion
1 tablespoon Vietnamese 3 crabs fish sauce
1 Fresh bay leaf
1. In a heavy stockpot, sweat celery and onion.
2. Add rice, chicken stock, ginger, bay leaf and fish sauce.
3. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat until rice is cooked through approximately 25 min.
4. Stir mixture occasionally to prevent from burning.
5. When rice is finished. Keep warm in double boiler.
For Short Rib:
5-7 lb. Beef short rib
3 piece Carrot
4 stalks Celery
2 whole Onion
2 tablespoons Minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon Minced garlic
2-3 Fresh bay leaf
1 cup Honey
2 quarts Beef stock
2 cups Mirin (rice wine)
1. Season meat with salt and pepper.
2. Heat canola oil in heavy bottom roasting pan.
3. Brown short rib on all sides being careful not to overcrowd pan.
4. When short rib is browned remove from pan and set aside.
5. Remove some of the oil from the same pan and brown carrot, celery and onion.
6. Return meat to pan with the vegetables and add honey, garlic, bay leaf, ginger, beef stock and mirin.
7. Cover tightly and put in 350 degree oven. Cook until fork tender. Approximately 3 hours.
8. When finished cooking , remove short rib portions to a warm platter. Strain cooking liquid and reduce by half to a syrup consistency.
In shallow bowl, ladle 6 oz. arroz caldo. Place warm short rib portion on top. Ladle about 2 oz of reduced stock over the top. Garnish with fried thinly sliced carrots that have been lightly dusted with flour.